The origin of EUROKIN
In 1996, an industrial survey  revealed a need for improvement in kinetic research, particularly concerning:
- Gathering of kinetic data, which is currently very costly and time consuming
- Software for parameter estimation from kinetic data, with an emphasis on user-friendliness
Several (petro) chemical companies, universities, and research institutes decided to initiate a new co-operation to enhance the improvements in the field of reaction kinetics.
The Eurokin consortium was created in 1998 and has run successfully since then.
- The general aim of the consortium is to produce a pre-competitive toolkit for kinetic research
- This should lead to faster, cheaper, better reaction rate expressions
- And it should enable faster-to-market development and more accurate reactor designs
 A.N.R. Bos, L. Lefferts, G.B. Marin and M.H.G.M. Steijns, Kinetic research on heterogeneously catalysed processes: questionnaire on the state-of-the-art in industry, Appl. Catal. A: General 160 (1997) 185-190.